Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hard conversations

So, in our PD on Wednesday we watched a video about technology and how it's changing. The video also went into how our schools are not changing at the same rate as technology. We then entered a discussion into wether this is the road we should take in education. I do agree that technology needs to be looked at and implemented into classrooms, but like I said on Wednesday, "I need to see the data." We, as an educational system, are all about data but who is asking about the data that supports technology in the classroom. It was really awesome to see our staff get riled up about something, it doesn't happen much and the majority of the staff was really engaged. I think that a lot more discussions need to happen like this in order for worth while things to come...but people are so scared of the hard discussions! We grow from disagreement, in my opinion. Is it weird that I thoroughly love to watch and be involved in these conversations? I hope what it says about me, is I like positive and worthwhile change. Also, that I am not easily swayed by the 'current talk' but rather what is best for children, even if it's hard deciding what the best is.

4 comments:

  1. In the 90/90/90 case study technology is not the reason for the improvement in these schools. Effective instruction and a collaborative spirit moved these buildings. Even more interesting is the commitment these buildings made to reading, authentic writing and math.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a bit upsetting to me about the implementation of technology in schools is the costs it takes to do. In our district we have a shortage in staff to support our struggling students, like in math and reading. Why are we not using the funds to support students with one on one in instruction rather than one on one with a laptop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is extremely hard understand how technology can impact student achievement when there is a short fall in funding for school resources. The technology does cost money and a good amount but is it as effective as another staff member, or an associate. If a district has the financing, let them try the technology approach with the understanding that there are district that need staff and resources over more technology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Momma"...
    Don't consider yourself "weird" for thriving on "hashing" through controversial topics. As a leader, you will probably be more effective because you don't back down from conflict. Not to mention you will push your staff to actually consider the darker side of issues. This may make people uncomfortable at first, but once you have opened the dialogue, the benefits will be apparent. I'll come work with you... we can push people out of their comfort zones together. (And I think I know a few other people in our cohort who might have skills in this area.)

    ReplyDelete