I think, as leaders, we need to be very concerned with the difference between buzzwords and what is best for children. I want to be a leader that makes a difference, not that follows to simply satisfy the people above me, or to progress in my profession. I want to be a leader that is known for being different, relevant and on the edge. I think that if everything that I do, say and act on goes back to what is best for students, I will have people that will follow me. I also believe that it won't be easy, I will have to ask hard questions and initiate difficult discussions. In doing this, people will feel uncomfortable but they will also be challenged to think differently and more deeply. I think that when we begin to ask those difficult questions and thinking deeper, we grow and become more innovative. (not sure I should use that word...)
Sunday, November 6, 2011
Leader and buzzwords
I just read an article that I saw on twitter, @edutopia http://bit.ly/tVOlj1 about innovation in schools. I was interested by the title and it sucked me in! I am and always have been very concerned with people using buzzwords and jumping on bandwagons simply because it's what is new. I hate it! I have always been open to sharing my concerns and opinions on this issue. I am so glad that there is someone out there that feels the same way. I have made people unhappy at my school because going with the grain is not always for me. I go against the grain when I need to, and I'm not ashamed to do so. I will always and forever go after what is best for children and if someone is going to tell me that a certain initiative is 'best practice' they better be able to back it up with research. I refuse to follow for the simple fact of following.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nicole-
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that we as future administrators will have to think against the grain if it is in the best interest of students. I only partially buy into the research part when it comes to new initiatives because as you know for every new strategy that is suppose to help in education, you find both research to support the claim as well as research to negate the claims.
I agree about the use of buzzwords in education. It makes it very hard to talk with outsiders about the profession with we are constantly using new buzzwords for the time. Additionally, when I think of the use of buzzwords it often brings me back to the over reliance on acronyms in education and how confusing it is for new teachers, school boards, etc. I think as a profession we need to be more welcoming to others with our terminology to have real conversations.
ReplyDeleteNicole,
ReplyDeleteThe buzzword craze almost works against education. For example, I have been in WDM for four years and we have transitioned through the following buzzword PD topics: Essential Questions, EEI, Quad D Lessons, AIW,etc. As a teacher, I tune out the latest and greatest because the administration has show that there is no commitment to any of them. As future administrators we need to be aware that we need to be committed to what we are saying is important and that we don't want to confuse the stakeholder groups with different abbreviations of our educational jargon.